Dr. Feldman and colleagues reported in January 2014 that gaps remain in psoriasis research. Based on their study, the authors recommend:
- Basic science and clinical research studies to determine the true prevalence and natural history of psoriasis.
- Molecular studies in patients with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, looking at the function of psoriasis susceptibility genes and to identify new therapeutic targets.
- Studies examining environmental factors' roles in psoriasis development of psoriasis.
- Investigations centered on the relationship between cardiometabolic disease and psoriasis.
- Studies focused on the potential impact of adjunctive therapies, including psychological interventions.
- And studies to pinpoint disease severity biomarkers and treatment response to improve patient therapy.
Source: Ryan C, Korman NJ, Gelfand JM, Lim HW, Elmets CA, Feldman SR, Gottlieb AB, Koo JY, Lebwohl M, Leonardi CL, Van Voorhees AS, Bhushan R, Menter A. Research gaps in psoriasis: opportunities for future studies. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014 Jan;70(1):146-67. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2013.08.042. Epub 2013 Oct 11. Review.
Sophisticated research capabilities, big data accelerate discoveries of mechanisms, drug targets
Drug delivery options a hot research focus
Important gaps in dermatology research
Tips for junior investigators
Compliance is shockingly understudied