ORAL PROPRANOLOL IN PRACTICE: SOME CONSIDERATIONS
- Educate parents about the risk of hypoglycemia and respiratory symptoms (wheezing) at each visit.
- To avoid hypoglycemia, the infant should feed regularly.
- Stop propranolol temporarily in cases of poor food intake or wheezing.
- Do not alter dosing for minor side-effects such as cold hands and asymptomatic low diastolic blood pressure.
- To minimize nightmares, avoid giving the treatment after 17:00 hours or reduce dose.
Christine Léauté-Labrèze, John I Harper, Peter H Hoeger. "Infantile hemangiomas: An overview," The Lancet. Jan. 12, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)00645-0